Board of Education , the Court held that segregation of pupils in the public schools of the District of Columbia violated the Due Process Clause.
United States Constitution - New World Encyclopedia
But the concepts of equal protection and due process, both stemming from our American ideal of fairness, are not mutually exclusive. But, as this Court has recognized, discrimination may be so unjustifiable as to be violative of due process.
Liberty under law extends to the full range of conduct which the individual is free to pursue, and it cannot be restricted except for a proper governmental objective. Segregation in public education is not reasonably related to any proper governmental objective and thus it imposes on Negro children of the District of Columbia a burden that constitutes an arbitrary deprivation of their liberty in violation of the Due Process Clause.
In subsequent cases, the Court has applied its Fourteenth Amendment jurisprudence to federal legislation that contained classifications based on sex and illegitimacy, and that set standards of eligibility for food stamps. Share full text access.
A Companion to the United States Constitution and Its Amendments
Please review our Terms and Conditions of Use and check box below to share full-text version of article. Get access to the full version of this article.
View access options below. You previously purchased this article through ReadCube. Institutional Login.
Log in to Wiley Online Library. Purchase Instant Access. View Preview.
Learn more Check out. Citing Literature.
- Discrimination. | U.S. Constitution Annotated | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute!
- Vile, John | SAGE Publications Inc;
- syngress - building dmzs for enterprise networks;
- The Developing Mind: Toward a Neurobiology of Interpersonal Experience.
- The Wisest Council in the World.
- Fifth Edition.
Related Information. Close Figure Viewer. Browse All Figures Return to Figure. Previous Figure Next Figure.
Best books A Companion to the United States Constitution and Its Amendments, 5th Edition
Email or Customer ID. Forgot password? Old Password. New Password. Password Changed Successfully Your password has been changed. Returning user.
- The Global Minotaur: America, Europe and the Future of the Global Economy (3rd Edition)?
- Fifth Amendment | mondconsmarolea.gq!
- The Government of Self and Others: Lectures at the College de France, 1982-1983.
- You are here!
- Obscure invitations : the persistence of the author in twentieth-century American literature?
- Biochemical Actions of Hormones. Volume 13!